Professor Tsuchin Philip Chu
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Carbondale, IL 62901-6603
Dr. Tsuchin “Philip” Chu is a professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes at Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIUC). He was a faculty member at Polytechnic University in New York before he joined SIUC in 1990. Dr. Chu has conducted research for over 30 years in areas such as non-destructive evaluation (NDE), biomedical engineering, experimental mechanics, computer-aided design, manufacturing, engineering (CAD/CAM/CAE), finite element analysis (FEA), and sensors and instrumentation. He is a pioneer in the area of digital image correlation (DIC) and at the cutting edge of research in NDE and biomechanics. He has more than 80 peer-reviewed journal publications and conference proceedings and over $2 million in grants from NASA, Boeing, US Air Force, US Navy, IBM, Illinois Clean Coal Institute, etc. Dr. Chu has advised more than 40 graduate students. He developed the Intelligent Measurement and Evaluation Lab (IMEL) which houses state-of-the-art equipment including DIC system, infrared (IR) thermography system, as well as emersion, contact, and air-coupled ultrasonic C-scan systems. Dr. Chu has participated in many summer research programs (NASA and the US Air Force) as a Research Fellow. He is currently serving on the ASNT (American Society of Nondestructive Testing) national and St. Louis Section Board of Directors. He is also an associate editor for the professional journal Experimental Techniques. Dr. Chu is a co-founder of Clipius Technologies, a think-tank company that produces intellectual property in the areas of defense, aerospace, and biomedical devices.
12/1982 Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.
Dissertation: “Digital Image Correlation Methods in Experimental Mechanics”
06/1980 M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
Thesis: “Effect of Swirling Flow on Discharge Coefficients of Venturi Flow Meters”
06/1974 B.S.E., Mechanical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, R.O.C.
Expertise and Research Interests:
- Non-destructive evaluation: Thermography, image correlation, ultrasonics
- Biomechanics: testing and measurements of bone allograft and soft tissue of diabetic foot, spinal implants
- Fracture mechanics: short crack growth and damage zone evaluation on particulate composites
- Experimental mechanics: digital image correlation and laser speckle interferometry
- Composite materials: finite element analysis, impact damage and repair, microcracking, porosity
- Composite structure for advanced spacecraft systems
- Image analysis and damage assessment of materials
- MEMS and Nano-technology: silicon micro-machined vibratory gyroscope, strain measurement of thin film with nano-scale accuracy.
- CAD/CAM: computer-aided modular fixture design, machine vision
Recent Contractual and Sponsored Research:
- "Adhesive Bondline NDE Digital Image Correlation - Feasibility Study," sponsored by Boeing Research and Technology, Tsuchin Philip Chu, $14,025, 05/01/2015 - 07/31/2015.
- "Compression Imagining Phase Array Ultrasound Interrogator (CIPHOR)," sponsored by Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFSOR), U.S. Air Force, PHASE-I, PI - Russel Kurtz and Tsuchin Philip Chu, $ 150,000, 08/01/2014 – 05/30/2015.
- "Bondline and Kissing Bond Assessment Using Acoustography," sponsored by office of Naval Research, U.S. Navy, PHASE-I, PI - Jaswinder Singh Sandhu and Tsuchin Philip Chu, $80,000 07/01/2013-01/30/2014.
- “Pilot Study of Energy Harvesting Devices,” C.J. Hatziadonius, F. Harackiewicz, T.P. Chu, NSF Center for Embedded Systems (CES), General Dynamics, $50,000, 8/1/2012 – 7/31/2013.
- “Numerical Modeling of Coupled Thermo-Mechanical Processes,” S. Ahmed, J. Qin, and T.P. Chu, NSF Center for Embedded Systems (CES), Hamilton-Sundstrand, a United Technologies Company, $25,000, 8/1/2011-7/31/2012.
- “Analysis of Dry Friction Materials,” P. Filip, T.P. Chu, P.W. Lee, and T. Policandriotes, Magna Powertrain, $100,000, 1/1/2011-12/31/2011.
- "Ultrasonic Non-Destructive Evaluation Intelligent System for Composite Structure Inspection," sponsored by Boeing, PI - Tsuchin Philip Chu, $45,894, 7/1/2010 – 12/31/2011.
- "Intelligent Non-Destructive Evaluation Expert System for Aircraft Carbon/Carbon Composite Brakes Using Infrared Thermography and air-couple ultrasonic," ASNT Fellowship Grant Award, PIs - Tsuchin Philip Chu and Anish Poudel, $15,000, 7/1/2010-6/30/2011.
- "Development of Circular Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Testing Technique for the Inspection of C/C Composite Aircraft Brake Disks," sponsored by CAFS, PI - Tsuchin Philip Chu, $30,000, 6/2010-5/2011.
- Georgeson, G., Poudel, A., Chu, T., and Grossnickle, J., "Systems and Methods for Analyzing a Bondline," Patent Pending with U.S.P.T.O.
- Stoller, M., Mahajan, A., Schwartz, B., Don, J., and Chu, T.C., “A body assimilated integrated dialysis process and unit,” patent pending.
- Tarter, T., Tarter, J., Chu, T.C., Schwartz, B., and Mahajan, A., “Double Core Biopsy Instrumentation Kit,” patent granted.
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Poudel, A., Mitchell K.A., Chu, T.P., Neidigk, S., and Jacques, C., “Non-destructive evaluation of composite repairs by using infrared thermography,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 50, Issue 3, pp. 351-363, 2016, DOI: 10.1177/0021998315574755
- Poudel, A., Kanneganti, R., Li, S., Gupta, L., and Chu, T. P., "Classification of Ultrasonic Echo Signals to Detect Embedded Defects in CFRP Panels," International Journal of Microstructure and Materials Properties, Vol. 10 No. 3, pp. 216-230, 2015.
- Allan, D.G., Chu, T., and Paliwal, M., “Comparative Failure Analysis of Allograft Constructs Stabilized with Compression Plates Utilizing Unicortical Versus Bicortical Screws with or without PMMA,” Engineering Failure Analysis, 53:69-77, July 2015, DOI: 10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.03.006.
- Poudel, A., Shrestha, S., Sandhu, J.S., Chu, T.P., and Pergantis, C., 2015, "Comparison and Analysis of Acoustography with Other NDE Techniques for Foreign Object Inclusion Detection in Graphite Epoxy Composites," Composites: Part B. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2015.03.048
- Poudel, A., Mitchell, K., Chu, T., Neidigk, S., and Jacques, C., 2015 "Non-Destructive Evaluation of Composite Repairs by Using Infrared Thermography," Journal of Composite Materials. DOI: 10.1177/0021998315574755
- Li, S., Poudel, A., and Chu, T. P., "Ultrasonic Defect Mapping Using Signal Correlation for NDE," RNDE, Vol. 26, Issue 3, 2015, DOI: 10.1080/09349847.2014.96790.
- Poudel, A., Strycek, J., and Chu, T.P., “Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Testing of Carbon/Carbon Composite Aircraft Brake Disks,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 71, No. 8, pp.987-994, 2013.
- Li, S., Poudel, A., and Chi, T.P., “Fuzzy Logic Based Delamination Detection in CFRP Panels,” Informatica, Vol. 37, pp. 356-366, 2013.
- Li, S., Chu, T.P., “Super-Resolution Image reconstruction for Ultrasonic NDE,” IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 60, No. 12, pp. 2775-2785, 2013.
- Poudel, A. and Chu, T.P., “Intelligent NDE Expert System for Aircraft Carbon/Carbon Composite Brakes Using Infrared Thermography and Air-Coupled Ultrasound,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 70 No. 10, pp.1219-1229, October 2012.
- Chu, T.P., Don, J., Pan, Y.C., and Poudel, A., “Defect Characterization in Commercial Carbon-Carbon Composites,” World Journal of Engineering, Vol. 9 No. 6, pp.481-486, 2012.
- C.B. Liu, M.J. Huang, Y.C. Pan, D. Shedlock, and T.P. Chu, “Detection of Discontinuities in Carbon-Carbon Composites using X-ray Compton Backscatter Radiography: Radiography by Selective Detection,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 70, No. 3, pp. 367-377, March 2012.
- T.C. Chu, J. Don, Y.C. Pan, and A. Poudel, “Non-Destructive Evaluation of Carbon-Carbon Composites Using Infrared Thermography,” World Journal of Engineering, September 2011.
- Y.P. Pan, T.C. Chu, and P. Filip, “Intelligent Nondestructive Testing Expert System for Carbon-Carbon Composites Using Infrared Thermography,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 69, No. 7, pp. 834-842, July 2011.
- Poudel, A., Chu, T.P., and Filip, P., “Application of Ultrasonic Non-Destructive Evaluation in Braking Materials,” Proceedings of 30th Annual SAE Brake Colloquium & Exhibition, San Diego, CA, September 23-26, 2012.
- Poudel, A., Chu, T.P., and Filip, P., “C/C Composite Brake Disk Non-Destructive Evaluation by IR Thermography,” Proceedings of SPIE Thermosense: Thermal Infrared Applications XXXIV, Vol. 8354, Baltimore, MD, April 23-27, 2012.